Project Title: Moving the needle on rural financial inclusion in Malawi
FINCA Malawi has obtained funds from FARMSE for a project which is aimed at reaching out to rural Malawians with financial education and access to financial services. The current target population is unbanked. With this intervention, FINCA shall be able to provide a wide range of financial services, both credit and savings products and value-added services accessed at lower delivery cost to the target market.
Through this project, FINCA will contribute to economic empowerment through enhanced financial inclusion to beneficiaries of Chitipa, Karonga, Rumphi, Mzimba, Nkhata Bay, Kasungu, Ntchisi, Dowa, Dedza, Salima, Nkhotakota, Lilongwe Mchinji, Phalombe, Zomba, Machinga, Balaka, Ntcheu, Blantyre, Mwanza, Mulanje Chikwawa, Nsanje, Mangochi, Neno, and Chiradzulu & Thyolo in the next three years.
Prior to the project implementation phase FINCA is recruiting an organization to conduct a baseline survey in a selected number of districts/towns.
Survey Project Objectives:
- Determine average agriculture outputs of the local communities
- Determine average farm incomes in the local communities
- Determine the average expenditure per person per day in the local communities
- Determine the average cost for transport to access basic financial services
- Determine what common modes of financial services are being currently used by local communities
- Average merchant sales per day/week/month
- Average merchant profit per day/week/month
- Any other relevant details on key economic activity within the targeted communities
- FINCA has determined the communities for the study to take place, and they are broken down into the following regions, districts, towns.
- Southern region:
- Blantyre: Chadzunda, Kachere, Lunzu, Chileka-Gadaga
- Thyolo: Goliati
- Eastern region:
- Zomba: Thondwe, Changalume, Jali, Domasi
- Machinga: Nsanama
- Central region:
- Mchinji: Kamwendo, Kapiri, Mkanda
- Lilongwe: Nsalu, Mitundu
- Northern region:
- Mzimba: Jenda, Euthini, Mpherembe, Embangweni, Chikangawa
- Timeline for survey: 3 weeks total
- Southern region:
- Demonstrated previous experience doing surveys in rural regions of Malawi
- Experience with data analysis and baseline survey implementation techniques
- Ability to mobilize resources to survey 5 rural communities in each region of Malawi (southern, eastern, central, northern)
- Survey 5 rural communities in each region as indicated by FINCA
- Survey at least 50 community members in each rural community (at least 50% women & 30% youth)
- Provide daily feedback to FINCA Project Manager during assignment
- Provide final report on survey findings based on the agreed upon metrics as specified in TOR
Application process and remuneration:
Prospecting organizations should provide details of relevant previous work, CVs of key staff members, and a proposed project plan based upon the TOR objectives and key deliverables.
The organization should also provide a detailed budget of all expenses for the project based on the TOR requirements.
Submission dateline for proposals is Friday 07th February 2020.
Detailed TORs may be obtained from: Administration@fincamalawi.org
FINCA Limited, Henderson Street, Private Bag 382, Chichiri, Blantyre 3. Malawi, Phone: 01 824544